Monday, March 8, 2010

Some milestones

My little man turned 3 months old on the weekend, 13 weeks today to be exact and I marvel at the miracle unraveling right before my eyes. His growth and development though not disimilar as any other human's doesn't cease to amaze me. When I look at him and notice how thick his limbs have become or how long his eyelashes have grown since he was born, I just can't believe that his only "fuel" is my breastmilk and his sleep, his much needed way of recharging as he undergoes this phenomenal growth. He now weighs double his birth weight and has grown 8 centimeters since birth. All in 3 months. Doesn't sound like much to most people probably but when you're his mother and saw him as a "bean" at his 12 week ultrasound scan, it can be pretty astonishing.

So, what are the milestones?

My little man is now...

...laughing out loud (LOL!) and definitely recognizing my face and my voice and smiling when he sees me, kicking his legs when he sees me approach after a nap or a sleep.

...able to hold his head up for extended periods of time while being held sitting up. Also able to enjoy tummy time for longer (he likes it better on my belly rather than on the floor).

...getting better at settling himself to sleep. Noah no longer needs to be rocked to sleep or held (I still wrap him and pat him a bit definitely a hundred times easier than carrying a wriggling boy for ages just to put him to sleep). He can only self settle though in his own space such as his cot, his pram or his car seat. I've given him his first blanket a week or so ago which I hope he will associate with sleep as he grows so that whenever he needs to sleep hopefully he can be comforted by the blanket and settle himself to sleep no matter where we are. This is important as he won't be in his usual comfort zones when we travel home to the Philippines in a few months.

...sleeping for a stretch of 5 hours. I still long for the day when he can sleep for longer so I can sleep longer but for the moment I just have to be happy with this mini improvement from the usual 3-4 hour periods.

...able to control his hands. They are no longer these random, alien things that fly about. He is now able to hold his hands together and hit/touch things before him. I cheer whenever he makes one of his mobile toys play music (which is done by rolling a ball) as it quite an achievement for him... it takes his full concentration and focus to aim his hand to the right thing and hit it with the right force. Because he has found his hands, he is now sucking it like crazy to put himself to sleep.

...not crying endlessly (seemed like endless anyway). I guess it boils down to having this relationship with each other - mother and baby knowing each other better. I am better able to interpret his many different signals so I can provide for his need quicker therefore minimising the need to cry. It's a great metaphor for any relationship for that matter. Once we have a relationship established it gets easier for both parties to meet each other's needs.

Indeed, I look forward to the many more milestones to come and celebrating them! I celebrated my little one's 3 month birthday by making Coq Au Vin for dinner last night... it was very yummy and hopefully my son will enjoy it too.. in the not too distant future.

newmum V








No comments:

Post a Comment